Friday, January 15, 2016

Friday's Faces from the Past - Elvie and Elwin Megrue



Written on the back of these photos from the Old Trunk in the Attic is "Elvie Mae Megrue age 14 month"  and "Elwin Elsworth Megrue 10 weeks old when taken".   Easy!  I found in the 1910 census, Elvie, age 9 and Elwin, 6, lived in Howard Ward 1, Clay County, Nebraska with their parents Andrew and Emma and one older sister named Faye, age 13.  Cut to the chase, I also found Elvie's memorial at Find A Grave in the Harvard Cemetery.  She died April 1, 1924 not quite reaching the age of 24 years old and it appears she never married.  I posted her photo there.

But maybe Elwin has descendants who would love to have these photos.  

There are no Elwin Megrue's listed at Find A Grave.  In the 1940 census, Elwin is 36 years old and single, living with his parents in Kimberly, Idaho.  I've learned that many people from around Eldorado, Nebraska moved to that area of Idaho for jobs in the logging industry.  The Social Security Death Index lists an E. Megrue who died in April of 1987 at age 84 in Twin Falls, Idaho.

His oldest sister, Vernie Faye was married to Gerald Morrow Ferguson on September 30, 1927 in Boise, Idaho.  Gerald has a memorial at Find A Grave in the Sacramento County Veterans Memorial Cemetery, but it doesn't look like Vernie is there.

As for the parents Andrew and Emma Megrue, Andrew died May 26, 1948 and is buried in Harvard, Nebraska.  Emma died in Idaho but I have no burial information.  She may be in Harvard also, I'll look the next time I'm there.  

So whether or not there are any descendants of Elwin or Vernie Faye I can't say for sure.  If anyone who reads this knows something, please leave a comment.  These photos belong with family.




4 comments:

  1. I don't know how I came upon this post but I know a little about vernie faye. Her and gerald never had biological children but they did adopt a child..her name before she got married was geraldine faye ferguson.. she recently passed away on January 18th 2017.. but vernie faye is my husband's grandma..I'll have to ask my husband if he knows where vernies burial is..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sorry for your loss. Would you like these pictures?

      Delete
  2. Laura, Did you ever find out where Vernie Faye's burial is at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not. Just looked again and can't find it.

      Delete